Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Blue Door Improv

Being involved in an improv class I was automatically informed of the live theatre life in Spokane. One place I was told about was The Blue Door Theatre. The date of my attendance was the 8th of December. The show is described as not being suitable for children and this was made quite apparent when the show began.

Many innuendos and references were made throughout the show. The overall experience of the show was quick and short skits with tight and powerful lines. Audience members were asked to suggest locations, topics and animals; all of which were centered around Africa as the title Safari suggests.

The crew is a local Spokane improv group, who performs regularly at the Blue Door. In terms of a goal or venue mission, there isn't much, unless bringing local talent to a public attraction and causing laughter counts as such. The jokes were consistent and the audience members were fully engaged with what was happening on stage.

Having a theatre where groups of humorous individuals can meet up and perform is a great resource, especially since most actors and performers popular today got their start with their own local clubs and theatres. Watching people who aren't big name actors get laughs from people I don't know gives hope to my own dream of being a comedian/performer. I don't know if being a big-shot actor is what I'd want for myself, but being able to do small performances and getting laughs from an audience is always something I've wanted to experience.

One act that stuck out to me was one about a camel, no water and sand. Not to give too much away as joke similar to it may be present in future shows, but the punchline involved a bootleg bar and crabs. Not sure how all of those things relate? Check out the show for yourself and see why live theatre is alive and well.

While I draw inspiration from watching others succeed where I also intend to make a mark. I want to know, what causes us to push forward? Why do we set up goals and where do we draw the origins of these goals we make.

************

The Blue Door Theatre is located in the Garland District and is two streets over from the Garland Movie Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment